Monday, March 05, 2012

Some training log

This winter is making me crazy.  Far too much snow on the ground for too long.  I think the arena will finally melt today...  which might make it rideable by Wednesday.  That's the first time in a month.  This week I am compensating by going up to Rochelle's more often (while Rochelle is out of town).

Gracie comes and goes -- sound when I can ride three or four days in a row in an arena, gimpy when I let her sit for a week in the cold.  Today we are going to work on straightness, flexibility within gaits (lengthen trot and canter), and maybe some lateral stuff.  I should do a couple of walk pirouettes while I have the mirrors.

Pico -- working on engaging the hind end at the trot.  His trot lengthening is coming on the loop, not so much in the arena.  Continuing to canter, halt, back, canter.  That seems to help his balance and is improving the canter.  I wonder if I should trot, halt, back, trot.  Might so the same thing.

No comments: